Sunday, July 22, 2007

Silent Auction Score

I attended a fundraiser and dinner for Mobility International USA and found myself roaming the aisles of the silent auction looking for something to bid on. I dug deep between the gift baskets and handmade artwork for something that would resonate with me. Dinner for two here, gift certificate for there, massage for this, spa for that. And there it was. A lone piece of paper sitting by itself on the back of the table.

A golf lesson with Casey Martin.

Without starting yet another debate about whether a golfer with a disability should or should not be able to compete with a cart in the PGA, he's a local hero, a great golfer and an amazing role model for people with disabilities.

While I should have been raising my price due to my desire to help raise funds for MIUSA, the truth is, there was another woman bidding on the lesson for her 14 year old son. If she hadn't been so sure of herself, I probably wouldn't have dropped a car payment on the deal, but I've never been one to handle competition very gracefully.

I think I need to get a lesson before the lesson. What do you think? Have you ever cleaned your house before you had someone come clean your house? No? Me either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Congrates on the lesson. I am sure your money will help some people out. Have with the lesson and I am sure you will learn alot.

Mr Business Golf said...

Great blog...look forward to reading more.