Saturday, July 7, 2007

My Letter to the USGA

Thanks to the Waggle Room and The Golf Chick for bringing up the non existence of a US Senior Women's Open. While I had thought today's blog would be dedicated to some of my deeper thoughts on a few inequities in the golf world, what ended up happening was the development of my open letter to the USGA. Feel free to cut and paste.

Dear USGA,

While wandering around the internet looking for even the smallest morsel of women's golf news today, I came across a blog site that pointed out something that's been bothering me for years. Rather than shaking my head and wishing for better, I thought I'd take the time to write.

Why doesn't the USGA sponsor a U.S. Senior Women's Open? I guess I probably know the answer to the question, but I'd like to support you in changing direction on this and embracing women's golf on a deeper level.

It seems to me that the popularity of golf is growing with women at a rapid rate, yet somehow the catering to our desires stops at the pro shop cash register. While I certainly don't speak for everyone, I think I can safely say that we want more than a credit card bill and a sporty visor. We want to see these incredible athletes continuing on their careers as their hair turns grey, their shots get shorter and straighter and their confidence overcomes the pressing cameras and fans.

In a country that is searching for ways to overcome the somewhat recent, yet huge decline in physical activity and growing obesity numbers, I think we'd all like to see more encouragement to keep moving. Without an activity that matters to us, why do we care when our hips start hurting, our knees start stabbing with pain and our shorts seem to keep shrinking every wash?

We need a US Women's Senior Open. Don't wait until the great ones are gone, we want to see them play now. I'm willing to bet there's a lot of us out here that will help you with promotions and marketing.

Sincerely,
Sarah
@The Daily Mulligan

No comments: