Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Out of the Dog House for $119

I'm hoping that none of my friends actually read this blog. Otherwise, the $119 could have been better spent on a little self help, wine and organic groceries for myself. Instead, it was spent on a new golf bag to keep me out of trouble.

Here's how it worked out.

My best friend was in on the whole mixed up, tangled up golf drama web from the beginning. The truth is, this isn't the first minor detail I've forgotten. There's been a few forgotten things and I'm only 40...seems a little soon, but it's been a tough year...could be stress related.

As I was relaying the whole mess over lunch, I remembered that she had an older version Sun Mountain carry bag that could help me out of my mess.

"Hey, I have an idea", I said with that squinted look that could only mean trouble. "How about I buy you a new bag and you let me give yours away as my used one. You'll get a brand new bag out of the deal." She probably could have bargained an electric cart out of me with my desperation to acquire a second used bag for my predicament.

"I'm willing to look around", she answered.

The next day I dragged her to the pro shop within 15 minutes of the front doors clicking open.
"Anything you want", I exclaimed, "look at all the fun colors."
She poked around, tried bags on, frowned at the new strap design and seemed basically uninterested in obtaining a new bag. So I did what you would expect. I begged the salesman to sell me a used bag. I repented my golf sin to him and he took me to the back room where he uncovered piles of bags with broken legs and zippers. The dark, still pile in the room without windows was depressing. I couldn't possibly lower myself to this level. I had to buy a new bag.

I returned to the sales floor to find my buddy happily sporting a new, apple green and black bag on her back. I think it's the exact same bag as she already has, but she's sure the legs are better. $119 later and I'm feeling pretty good. We'll see if this works out.

No comments: