Thursday, July 19, 2007

Golf Guilt

Every now and then I still suffer from a little golf guilt. Sometimes it hits me when I'm telling one of my environmentally gifted friends that I have to go, I have a tee time. Other times it hits me when I'm working on an action plan to help the homeless in our community.

Today it happened at a child neglect summit.

I couldn't help it. I could see the sun pouring in through the skylights and I wanted to be lifted out and set gently on the finely manicured tee box with my disobedient Cobra driver. Everyone else in the room appeared to be focused on the very real and imminent issue of abused and neglected children. But, I was different. With every slide of a child waiting for a home, I saw a club needing to be held, swung freely from my hands and tucked carefully back to place in my bag.

It's not that I don't care or that I'm not passionate about the issue. It's just that sometimes you just need a break from it all. I can see why business deals made their way onto the golf course.
I long for the day that it's politically acceptable to take public and social services to the course. I'll probably be 102.

1 comment:

KennyG84 said...

The Daily Mulligan appears to have dried up. Where have you gone? Too much guilt to carry on? Don't get "blogged" down--we need you back in cyberspace.