Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm Ready to You Know...Putt

As the nurse opened the door and called my name across the waiting room, I confidently stood up and walked boldly towards her, hiding any small winces of pain with a broad smile and thumbs up. Certainly I’d be cleared to golf if I could wind my way through the maze of women and babies with such a strong gait.

“Everything is looking really good; you’re healing very fast, but take it easy going back to work, any other questions?” My doctor looked at me with a smile that suggested she was ready for the first question her patients always asked.
“When can I golf?” I responded. Again, the broad smile.
Looking slightly confused, head tilting from side to side, she responded, “I guess you can start putting now, but I’d be seriously concerned about the swinging of a golf club.” That suspicious smile was back, followed by, “Don’t you have any other questions you’d like to ask.” She drew the “other” out for three or four counts while I slowly realized what she was talking about.
“Oh yeah, you want to know if I want to know about you know,” I said nodding my head in perfect rhythm with hers.
“Most women do”, she replied.

Not this woman. There’s plenty of time for “you know”, but only so many perfect golf days. For now I will save the “you know” for Victoria, my somewhat clunky Yes putter. She’ll be my partner in healing over the next two weeks as I am finally forced to work on my putting. Which is just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: